Monday, March 17, 2008

Kwame Kilpatrick

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick uses some rhetorical strategies in his appealing speech.
First of all, he uses cause and effect strategy. In the middle of speech, he says, "In the past three days, I've received more death threats than I have in my entire adminstration." And he goes on saying, "I have to say this because it is very personal to me." He demonstrates his opinion or thoughts by saying "because I have received more threats and my family is invovled in, I have to take it personally." This cause and effect strategy helps readers understand how much he is in trouble and distressed. If he was not threatened much like usual, then he wouldn't have had to reveal this fact and let the citizens know. He justifies himself like this to create an excuse to make a speech by giving such information of being threatened. By giving the factual information that he is going through, he makes it sound logical to protest and appeal his situation to the citizens.
Second strategy that Kwame uses is pathos. He mentions his wife and children being threatened and scared. He says "(because people have say the threatening words to my family) I have to say this because it's very personal to me." He tries to persuade and appeal to the readers and citizens of Detroit emotionally. He specifically mentions his "wife and children" which put himself a "dad and husband" position. And he shows his personal concerns for his family, which is the responsibility of being a dad and husband. This helps persuade dads and husbands, those who are in the same positions as him emotionally.
Third strategy Kawme uses is diction. Near the bottom of his specch, he repeats "I humbly ask..." many times. By repeating those words, he emphasizes his humbleness and humiliation. This links to the use of pathos the emotion. By showing his humbleness, he makes himself look pitiful and with it, he begs for the forgiveness from the citizens of Detroit
And at the end, he ends with a sentence, "I will continue to stay focused on building the next Detroit." promising something to citizens. He could have said this in other way, but he chose a word "focused" to make his determination sound even stronger that citizens may turn around back to him.

No comments: